Update on Conscious Sedation for Dentistry for Dentists (11/03/22)
A one-day update course for dentists already providing sedation in their current clinical working environment. GDC development outcomes: A, B, C, D
The ability to provide safe and effective conscious sedation is a great attribute for a dental team. Patients with a real fear of dentistry or with other conditions which make it difficult for them to be treated under LA alone rightfully expect conscious sedation to be available. Conscious sedation is an integral element of the control of pain and anxiety in the delivery of dental care. In dentistry, it has an excellent record of safety - this is the result of a long history of effective knowledge, skills and experience-based training and regular CPD. This course provides an update specifically for dentists providing dental care under conscious sedation. Details of the training requirements for IV and inhalational sedation can be found in ‘Standards for Conscious Sedation in the Provision of Dental Care’ (IACSD 2020) and dentists providing sedation need to demonstrate 12 hours of sedation CPD in each 5-year cycle.
Conscious Sedation Presentations:
- Assessment and treatment planning for sedation – histories, examination, airway assessment, screening assessments, consent, escort and patient information
- Inhalation sedation update – pharmacodynamics, advantages & disadvantages, indications and contraindications, equipment, clinical technique, monitoring, risks and complications
- Intravenous sedation update - pharmacodynamics, advantages & disadvantages, indications and contraindications, equipment, clinical technique, monitoring, risks and complications
- Transmucosal sedation update – oral and intranasal techniques using midazolam, techniques and protocols of use
- Sedation Complications - cannulation problems, under and over sedation, interactions, monitoring
- Q & A – open session to answer questions and help with any workplace sedation queries
Demonstrations and Practical Skills Training:
- Blood pressure, pulse and monitoring equipment demonstration and practice
- Inhalation sedation machine – video demonstration and practical checking, calibration and technique
- Cannulation technique – demonstration and simulated practice
- Supplemental oxygen via nasal cannula – demonstration and practice
Learning Aims and Objectives
By the end of the course participants will have knowledge of:
- The principles of safe and effective conscious sedation using the standard (IACSD 2020) intravenous and inhalational sedation drugs and techniques (midazolam and nitrous oxide/oxygen)
- The requirements for patient assessment and treatment planning
- Potential airway and breathing difficulties
- The significance of medical problems, including concurrent medication
- The use of conscious sedation techniques including the administration of sedation drug/s
- The specific monitoring, recovery and discharge criteria and requirements
- The recognition and management of sedation-related complications
- The national guidance and standards for conscious sedation in the UK.
Registration is at 9:15am and the course starts at 9:30am. Expected finish time is 4:30pm.
The course takes place at LonDEC. Please see https://www.londec.co.uk/contact-us/directions
Each participant will receive course notes, a certificate of completion from LonDEC and 6 hours verifiable CPD.
Course is inclusive of refreshments and light buffet lunch.
Chris Dickinson BDS MSc (U.Lond). MFDS DDPH LDS RCS (Eng). DipDSed (KCL)
I currently work as a consultant in Special Care Dentistry at Guy’s and St. Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust (GSTT) and am also an honorary clinical senior lecturer for King’s College London Faculty of Dentistry, Oral and Craniofacial Sciences (KCL). I’m on GDC specialist lists for special care dentistry and prosthodontics. My GSTT treatment clinics cover interests in all areas of Sedation and Special Care Dentistry with special interests in restorative oral health care for patients with Epidermolysis Bullosa, patients with severe medical conditions, extreme phobia and gagging problems
Prior to becoming a consultant at Guy’s, I spent 13 years in the community dental service starting as a dental officer with Camden & Islington CDS and ending as deputy clinical director of Merton, Sutton and Wandsworth CDS. During this time a sat on the JNF of CCCDS and was involved in some of the initial working groups when special care dentistry was first proposed as a specialty. I have worked special care dentistry in both primary and secondary care offering sedation to patients for over 30 years.
Undergraduate & Postgraduate Teaching
I teach and examine KCL undergraduates and postgraduates in both restorative, sedation and special care dentistry subjects. I was the course organiser for the year 5 undergraduate sedation course for 10 years. I was the programme lead for the postgraduate diploma in conscious sedation for dentistry between 2014 and 2021 and am a module author and assessor/tutor in special care dentistry with the distance learning MClinDent in prosthodontics at KCL. Externally I have taught various special care topics, sedation, BLS and medical emergencies in dentistry for ORE, MJDF, local deanery and abroad to postgraduate groups. I have sat on national committees for BSDH and DSTG. I was a tutor on the national sedation courses for the Society for the Advancement of Anaesthesia in Dentistry (SAAD) faculty courses for 15 years.
|Course End Date||11-03-2022|
|Registration Start Date||24-11-2021 8:00 am|
|Cut off date||10-03-2022 11:55 pm|
|Discounted Price||£199.00 (Until 04-02-2022 10:53)|